My poor garden. When last I wrote, I had just planted the garden and didn't know how the growing season would go. I guess I still don't know for sure but here's how its going down so far...
The squash are flourishing. I mean those must have been some super-squash seeds I planted. OK there are no actual squash growing on the vines but there will be soon. The plants are healthy and flowering and growing. That leads us to the sugar snap peas. They are doing pretty well. I dont think our soil or climate is quite right for those but they're sure trying. One was even big enough to start on a trellis. In front of the peas there is a place for the garlic. The garlic is sitting on my dining room table where it has been for... a while... and, let's be honest here, probably will continue to sit for a while. Next section: green beans. I'm so proud of my green beans!!! They are just the cutest things I've seen (in my garden) since I spied my very first little jalapeno last year. In front of the green beans there were some bell peppers. There are no bell peppers. There are no leaves, there are no sproutlets. There is dirt. I have a rabbit who enjoyed my bell pepper sproutlets as an appetizer this spring. I say appetizer because that leads me to my cayenne and jalapeno peppers. I have one jalapeno plant and it's struggling. I have one stem that the rabbit ate the leaves from. The rest is gone. I'm 1/2 sad and 1/2 relived that we won't have to figure out what to do with millions of peppers this year. Oh- and how do I know its a rabbit? I watched it much on my plants one rainy day from Peyton's window. I yelled and beat on the window and it wasn't phased. I COULD have gone around the house and waded through the mud and shooed it away but I didn't. And now I have no peppers. But I digress... I left out my onions. I had two rows of beautiful onions. They were getting tall and green and even smelling good. Well I now have one row of tired-looking onions. You see we are building a deck. And the one of the deck legs is IN MY GARDEN! Which means there are lots of big male feet in my garden. A lot. More on that later... The guys really are trying (usually) to step carefully around the plants but one row of onions is just gone. I tried to relocate them but the timing is just wrong. The onions didn't make the transfer. I should be able to salvaget the others and I'll replant in the fall. Lastly, the tomatoes are doing okay. I think 7 out of 14 plants will make it. Two are doing great. The others are struggling a bit but should make it. Hopefully I will get some pictures taken tonight. You won't believe what my backyard looks like. Seriously, I think there is like 4 square feet of grass left uncovered and unoccupied. Its crazy! (But really fun!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment