I really love the concept of Once-A-Month Cooking but I also typically despise freezer food. The one success I've found is breakfasts.
I wanted to give a few things a try again so Peyton and I broke out the crock pots and rice cooker and set to work. I set up all three the night before I wanted to tackle the cooking so that at least three things would be done when I got up. (24 hour cooking)
I truly loved the month that I cooked a month's worth of breakfast burritos and froze them to throw in my lunch bag everyday, so I decided to build on that and freeze a month of breakfasts but mix it up a bit. I figured on a 4 week month and made 2 breakfast burritos, 2 egg mcmuffins and 1 bowl of oatmal for each week.
The egg mcmuffins were something I dreamed up so I wasnt 100% sure how they'd turn out but I was SOO pleased when I tried the first one! And it was SOO easy!
10 eggs, scrambled
1/2 lb deli sliced chicken breast sliced into small strips
small handfull of cheese
Sandwich between 2 slices of an english muffin
Peyton whisked the eggs for me
YUM!!
Next time I plan to substitute a whole wheat english muffin but this is what I had this time.
I had tried the freezer-friendly breakfast burritos from the MoneySavingMom.com site and was very pleased. I couldn't remember what all she put in hers but I thought it would suit me just fine to use the same ingredients from the egg mcmuffins. I also found a new brand of whole-wheat tortillas as Walmart and, no kidding, they are the best packaged tortilla's I've ever had.
16 eggs, scrambled (the burritos hold more than the mcmuffins)
1/2 lb deli sliced chicken breast sliced into small strips
small handfull of shredded cheese
wrap up in tortilla
Soo good!
I tried a crock-pot recipe for steel-cut oatmeal but it failed miserably. So I cooked up a batch on the stove and it was perfect! One large batch of oatmeal made exactly four bowls for me to take to work. I topped each bowl with a little cinnamon and about a teaspoon of brown sugar.
I seriously look forward to breakfast every morning now. I never feel like I'm eating the same thing over and over because I mix it up and everything froze well and is perfect (for me) microwaved at work.
It really did make four bowls. One was in the diswasher at picture time.

No comments:
Post a Comment