Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The "Stories" from Fort Worth

There really isn't a dull moment when Peyton is around.  This weekend was no exception!  He supplied me with two speechless moments. 

My 'favorite' was the night we arrive in Ft Worth.  We all went to check out the pool at our very nice hotel just to see if we might be interested in swimming.  It didn't disappoint.  It was a beautiful pool but it was completely packed and was adjacent to an outdoor bar area that looked like it had been taken from a Miami hotel rooftop.  It was full of well dressed people enjoying their holiday weekend.  We were glad we had seen the pool area but we were very happy to go back upstairs to our comfortable room.  I knew Peyton was right in front of me but I wasn't actually looking at him so when we turned to leave and I took Peyton's hand, I realized that he stepped over something.  It was his shoes, pants and underwear.  He had (quickly) undressed and was ready to swim!  Right there in the middle of this scene from a Miami rooftop.  I was mortified for about a second and then I was laughing too hard to get his clothes back on as quickly as I wanted.  Of course, he was heartbroken that we weren't swimming but I told him we could put on his suit and come back down.  But by the time we got upstairs, he decided a shower would be just as fun and so we got to skip the pool.  That story was funny, even to me. 

The second story is Kristine's favorite.  It is only slightly funny to me.  Maybe in 20 years it will be funnier.  We were in a hand-made jewelry store at the Stockyards and Andrea was looking at a piece of jewelry.  The rest of us had already looked and Peyton, Kathy and I were standing/sitting off to the side of the store.  It was a small store so we were trying to stay out of the way.  Kathy was sitting in a chair along a wall, Peyton was in the stroller facing her beside the wall and I was standing behind him.  (So Kathy was facing the store and we were facing her side)  I had given him a bottle of water to drink while we cooled off inside the store.   All of a sudden Kathy looked at Peyton, gasped and had a look of horror on her face so I looked down and Peyton was holding out the bottle of water and squeezing it so that the water gushed out.  I had the same reaction as Kathy and we got the bottle out of his hands as quickly as we could but there was still a puddle in the carpet in front of Peyton.  Of course, everyone in the store saw what happened and one of the sales ladies got a towel to dry it up.  The store didn't have a posted 'no children' policy but it certainly wasn't toy's-r-us.  The other sales lady probably would have had a worse reaction if she hadn't been trying to push a sale on Andrea.  The much nicer woman who helped us was very cheerful and assured me that worse things had been spilled in the store.  I was still mortified but I could have handled that.  But as she was kneeling down in front of Peyton to soak up the mess he had made, he points to the floor and says 'wipe that up'.  I almost died.  Seriously.  I continued to apologize profusely to the woman my son was ordering around and she continued to be very cheerful.  And then Peyton and I left the store as quickly as possible. 

Somehow Peyton and I are both still alive to tell the story and, I'm sure, encounter another 'teachable moment'.

No comments:

Post a Comment