I think Peyton is starting to take great strides in his speech. Twice this weekend I caught him using 2-word phrases!! He said 'thank you mommy'!!! He said it all on his own and on more than one occasion. The first time he said it I was so shocked I almost didn't lavish him with praise! I know I stood there staring blankly at him for more than a second after I decoded what he had said. It wasn't the most clear thing he had ever said but the words were in there. After I realized what he was saying I noticed him saying it fairly often. He also says 'have a good day' when I leave him in the mornings. He runs it all together but the intention is there. He still has episodes of gibberish but I have recently learned that those are only for me. He doesnt seem to speak to anyone else that way. Luckily he does it in front of other people so I dont think I'm completely looney! Its hard not to laugh when I say, 'I"m sorry Peyton, I don't understand. Can you say it again?" and he responds with 'Again'. I DID ask for that!
Peyton also had very few potty accidents this weekend - mabye just one, come to think of it. He used the potty at his Nana's house several times without being asked. Putting his clothes back on after is another story but I'll take what I can get! He is almost exclusively in underwear now and only wears a pull up to bed and when I know we wont have access to a potty for a long time.
Once again, Peyton is doing things on his own schedule. He always worries me until one day he just decides hes ready to do whatever all the rest of us are ready for him to do. I'm not discounting the therapy, though. He still does not speak clearly but its like he gets it now. I think the biggest help is that I have learned to slow down when I speak to him.
I think one of Peyton's words pretty much sums up the weekend, "Hooray!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment