Well. Tonight is the last night of the Summer of Allison.
Tomorrow I will drive to Longview to bring a load of Brandon's things back to Norman. (And see him.) I'll get home late (LATE) Sunday night, go to work on Monday and, when I get home, Mom & Peyton will be home. (YAY!)
So as I reflect on 8 weeks of single-lady-hood, I've learned some things:
1. Its kinda boring
I work, I come home, I watch some Animal Planet, I make some kind of dinner for myself and I go to bed. Single life (for me) is SO not glamourous.
2. I miss my boys
They keep me busy but, it turns out, I like that kind of busy.
3. My roots are Oklahoma summers.
When given the opportunity, I'll (apparently) choose "hot country" ... youngins, Modern Country, or Top 40 Country used to be called that... for my summer soundtrack. And when I say "top 40" I may or may not mean top 40 from 20 years ago. (TWENTY!?)
I've driven 6 out of 8 weekends this summer and I always land on some kind of country.
And it feels good.
I remember windmills (the little wood & metal kind - not the giant 3-blade kind), and the smell of gasoline for 3-wheelers and a big ol' garden and the freakin bull snake and wheat fields just before they're harvested and 100+ temps.
The last time I drove to Longview, I took the back roads to avoid Dallas traffic and I drove through countless little Oklahoma ghost towns (that Siri guided me through) (seriously, I couldn't have made that drive without Siri) and remembered some Waynoka and Alva summers. It was a good 5 hours.
I wonder if Peyton will have Tennessee summer roots.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment