Friday, May 27, 2011

Three 4's, One 3' and Others

On Wednesday when I blogged about the tornado, I took over 2 hours to press send because of the steady stream of people coming by my desk to swap tornado stories.  Everyone had one (obviously) and they were all pretty much the same:  "Are ya'll okay?  Yeah we did just fine.  We packed a bag and headed down to the shelter for a while.  We had about 20 people & 6 dogs in there!  We were pretty lucky.  Did you hear about ____?  They got hit pretty hard."  Here in Oklahoma we don't tell short stories, but that was pretty much the gist of each one!  I have read stories about 1300 people in one public shelter and I know that every available shelter was over capacity.  And TEN people in OK died.  And if you see the destruction, you know the tornadoes were bad.  But I just saw the ratings.  There were three F4's, a 3 and a 2 and one other but I didn't see what it was.  So I have to say, once again, that our meteorologists and news stations are the best of the best.  They were able to strike the fear in people that we needed that day.  When the tornado was headed from El Reno straight for us (before it turned north and hit Piedmont), Kristine was really getting worked up and I told her "Don't worry- we're underground and the whole city is praying right now and so is my mom."    She laughed at the last part but you'll never convince me that all of those things didn't come together to protect my family that day.  Then Kristine had to explain to the drug rep from out of town that it would probably be okay.  I felt bad for that lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment